Saturday, February 27, 2010

Seven layer bars

My mentor at Saatchi Lab left the company in January. She was a really nice lady and I wanted to bake her something to thank her. As her last day was in the middle of the week,  I knew that whatever I chose had to be simple and not take up much time. I browsed through my recipes, and saw these bars. Like hello? It screamed easy with a capital E. I also knew for a fact that Shareeda loves chocolate, so these would be perfectly fine for her. It comprised of approximately ten ingredients or so, and I went to the supermart the day before after work to grab whatever I didn't have at home so I could work on it the next morning.

The recipe was straight forward, but as I was making these bars, I realised that if I followed the proportions exactly, they were going to be extremely sweet. Therefore, I reduced the measurements according to how I felt should be enough. I didn't exactly measure anything out except for the digestives base. I just sprinkled the ingredients on top of one another and stopped when I think they were enough. I replaced half the butterscotch chips with some crumbled butterscotch cookies as a bag of butterscotch chips were friggin' expensive.

The bars baked beautifully and the aroma of these in the morning is enough to send any diabetic running. All that sugar. Tsk tsk. It was really chocolatey and a small piece of it is enough to sate any sweet cravings. Thank heavens I reduced the proportions, if not it would be overkill.
 
Seven layer bars


The instructions were to cut it after it has cooled down fully. And please, whoever reads this and plans to make these, heed those damn instructions. I left it to cool for twenty minutes or so, it was slightly warm, but I was rushing to work soon, I had no time to wait for it to cool anymore. So I cut it in half, and cut one of the halves into pieces. 

Needless to say, warm goods should never never be sliced. They crumble very easily and the pieces I finally chose for Shareeda were quite disfigured. :( Oh well, I comforted myself with the thought that at least the taste of them would be good (I knew - guess where those bits of broken crumbs went?).


Such yummy (and sinful) goodies should be shared with as many people as possible so you don't look at them lying on the table and munch on them. After I reached home from work at night, I sliced the remaining pieces, and they were so much easier to cut. They held their shape better and didn't disintegrate at the slightest nudge of a knife. I was meeting some friends for brunch in the weekend, so I made sure I saved some to share with them. They seem to like the bars, and two of them asked for the recipe after that.

Such a scrumptious bar, that takes so short of a time to bake (it's just the waiting that can make you go crazy. The smell and sight of it hmmmmm, yet you must exercise that last bit of self control - you must! - so that you can savour it fully later on.). What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...